Tax Trails - Are Your Work Related Educational Expenses Deductible?
Your educational expenses qualify (but you must reduce them by the amount of the reimbursement).
Deductible expenses include:
- Tuition, books, supplies, lab fees and similar items
- Certain transportation and travel costs
- Other education expenses, such as the cost of research and typing when writing a paper
No double benefit allowed.
- You cannot deduct either of the following:
- Expenses you benefit from under any other provision of the law
- Expenses paid with tax-free scholarship, grant or employer-provided educational assistance
Include this amount with your deduction for any other employee business expenses on Schedule A (Form 1040) (.pdf), Itemized Deductions, or Schedule A in Form 1040NR (.pdf), U.S. Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return. This deduction is subject to a 2% limit of your adjusted gross income.