Understanding Your CP72 Notice
You may have claimed a frivolous position on your tax return. A frivolous return is identified when some information on the return has no basis in the law.
What you need to do
- File a corrected return within 30 days of the notice
You may want to
- Review this notice with your tax preparer
- Read about deductions and credits in Publication 17
- Call us at the number shown on your notice
- Review the Publication 2105 you received
Answers to Common Questions
What is this notice telling me?
Based on information on your return, it appears you have taken a frivolous position. A frivolous position is one that has no basis in the law.
What do I have to do?
Within 30 days of the notice date, you must file a corrected return removing the frivolous position. If you don't, a penalty of $5000 can be assessed on each frivolous return filed.
Tax publications you may find useful
Understanding your notice
Your notice may look different from the sample because the information contained in your notice is tailored to your situation.
Notice CP72, Page 1
Notice CP72, Page 2
Notice CP72, Page 3