IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Donations From Your IRA or of Your IRA Distribution to a Qualified Charity in 2012

Can I claim a donation from my IRA or of my IRA distribution to a qualified charity in 2012 as a qualified charitable distribution?

You can elect to treat the donation as a 2012 qualified charitable distribution (QCD) if:

  • for the donation from your IRA, you:
    • made the donation when you were age 70½ or older, and
    • the donation was transferred directly from your IRA (other than an ongoing SEP or SIMPLE IRA) to the qualified charity;

  • for the donation of your IRA distribution, you:
    • were age 70½ or older at the time of your IRA distribution,
    • received your IRA distribution in December 2012 from an IRA (other than an ongoing SEP or SIMPLE IRA), and
    • contributed the distribution in cash to a qualified charity.

See Notice 2007-7 for additional information on QCDs, including the definition of ongoing SEP and SIMPLE IRAs.

2012 QCD reporting reminders

  • Don’t deduct as a charitable contribution any amount of a QCD you exclude from your gross income.
  • Report your 2012 QCDs on your 2012 Form 1040.
  • File a 2012 Form 8606, Nondeductible IRAs (instructions) with your return if your 2012 QCD was from a:
    • Roth IRA; or
    • a traditional IRA, in which you had basis, and you received a 2012 distribution from any traditional IRA other than the 2012 QCD.

Additional Resources

Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 18-Dec-2013