Employee Plans Compliance Unit (EPCU) - Current Projects - Termination Project
This project focuses on Plan Sponsors who have indicated that a Plan has terminated. Some indications that a Plan has terminated may be reflected by a positive response to line 5a of Form 5500 Schedule H/I or line 13a of Form 5500-SF, a Final Form 5500 Return filed or a full distribution of assets. Per Revenue Ruling 89-87, a Plan that is amended to terminate and to cease benefit accruals has not, in fact, been terminated under the Code if the assets are not distributed as soon as administratively feasible after the stated date of plan termination. This project will focus on determining the accuracy of information reported on Forms 5500 and compliance with regard to Revenue Ruling 89-87, 1989-2, C.B. 81.
The Project Process
Compliance contact letters will be issued to a sample of Plan Sponsors. The compliance contact letter will request the Plan Sponsor complete a short questionnaire. Based on the response received from the Plan Sponsor, the compliance contact case will either be closed or additional information will be requested.
If You Receive A Letter
Please provide the information requested in the letter. You may also furnish any other documents or clarifying material that you believe will be helpful for us to review. You should make every effort to be as complete and accurate as possible in your responses. If you need additional assistance, please communicate with the EPCU contact as indicated on the letter.
If You Have Questions
Please feel free to e-mail us and we will be glad to answer any questions you have about the project and how it relates to your situation. Please include “Termination Project” in the Subject line of the message. You may also telephone the contact person listed on the letter.
- Distribution of Assets after Plan Termination – FAQ
- Missing Participants or Beneficiaries
- Field Assistance Bulletin 2004-02 - Fiduciary Duties and Missing Participants in Terminated Defined Contribution Plans
- Employee Plans Compliance Resolution System
- Form 5500 Schedule H (2006)
- Form 5500 Schedule I (2006)
- Form 5500 Schedule H (2007)
- Form 5500 Schedule I (2007)
- Form 5500 Schedule H (2008)
- Form 5500 Schedule I (2008)
- Form 5500 Schedule H (2009)
- Form 5500 Schedule I (2009)
- Form 5500-SF
- Form 5500-SF (2009)
- Form 5500 Schedule H (2010)
- Form 5500 Schedule I (2010)
- Form 5500-SF (2010)
- Form 2848 (Instructions), Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative