Employee Plans News - June 8, 2012 - Form 8955-SSA and the FIRE System
The IRS permits electronic filing of Form 8955-SSA, Annual Registration Statement Identifying Separated Participants with Deferred Vested Benefits, through the FIRE (Filing Information Returns Electronically) system.
Filing electronically ensures that:
- return information is accurately received by the IRS and transmitted promptly to the Social Security Administration, and
- plan participants will be notified by SSA of their potential retirement benefits when they apply for Social Security Benefits.
Many filers took advantage of this opportunity and filed the Form 8955-SSA electronically for plan years 2009 and 2010. We encourage you to file electronically.
If you have concerns with using the FIRE system, please visit the Form 8955-SSA Resources page, where you will find:
- a list of approved software vendors,
- frequently asked questions, and
- IRS Publication 4810, Specifications for Filing Form 8955-SSA, Annual Registration Statement Identifying Separated Participants with Deferred Vested Benefits, Electronically.
For assistance in filing your Form 8955-SSA electronically, contact the IRS:
- (866) 455-7438 (toll free) or (304) 263-8700 (outside the U.S.)
- email RetirementPlanComment@irs.gov with “Form 8955-SSA” in the subject line. Please provide your phone number.