IRS Nationwide Tax Forums
Employee Plans and Exempt Organizations will participate in the IRS Nationwide Tax Forums in five cities starting in July. The forums are a major outreach event providing three packed days of seminars, workshops, focus groups and an exhibit hall for the tax practitioner community. In addition to getting the latest tax information, tax professionals can earn continuing education credits for their attendance.
This year, Employee Plans will present two seminars. The first, “Choosing the Right Retirement Plan,” will show practitioners how to match the right plan with the right employer and why that’s important. The presentation will include the features and benefits offered in each type of plan.
- Which employers are eligible to adopt each type of plan
- Which employees must be included
- Contribution and deduction limits
- Who contributes and when are contributions due to the plan
- Filing requirements
- Pros, cons and common mistakes for each type of plan
The second seminar, "Extra! Extra! Hear the Latest Retirement News and Hot Topics,” will include the latest news on:
- myRA – Is it the newest retirement plan or just your favorite aunt?
- IRA tax-free rollovers – if one isn’t enough, are two allowed?
- How the Supreme Court ruling in Windsor redefined "spouse" in a retirement plan
- How invalid Social Security numbers may lead to problems in your retirement plan
- 5500EZ – Filing pitfalls and steps to take if you forgot to file
- Tips to use when calculating the retirement plan contribution and deduction for your self-employed clients
Exempt Organizations will also have multiple sessions. Tuesday morning, an Exempt Organization executive will provide an update on Moving EO Forward. Three sessions of its Exempt Organization Workshop will also be offered. This year’s session will include a review of annual filing requirements, automatic revocation of tax exemptions and common Form 990 errors. In addition, the workshop will present several topics that are of interest to practitioners who work with exempt organizations.
The dates and locations of this year's forums are:
|IRS Nationwide Tax Forums 2014 Locations and Dates|
|Chicago, Illinois||July 1 - 3|
|San Diego, California||July 15 - July 17|
|New Orleans, Louisiana||July 22 - July 24|
|National Harbor, Maryland (DC)||August 19 - 21|
|Orlando, Florida||August 26 - 28|