Mark Your Calendar
Here are some important dates in the upcoming months. Most of the deadlines are for calendar-year plans; non-calendar-year plans must adjust the dates.
July 15: Make second quarter contributions to 2015 calendar-year defined benefit plans.
July 31: File:
- Form 5500, Annual Return/Report of Employee Benefit Plan;
- Form 5500-SF, Short Form Annual Return/Report of Small Benefit Plan; or
- Form 5500-EZ, Annual Return of One-Participant (Owners and Their Spouses) Retirement Plan.
- Form 8955-SSA, Annual Registration Statement Identifying Separated Participants with Deferred Vested Benefits.
- Form 5558, Application for Extension of Time To File Certain Employee Plan Returns, for an extension to October 15, 2015, for any of the above forms.
- Form 5330, Return of Excise Taxes Related to Employee Benefit Plans.
- Make deductible contributions for 2014 if you file Form 1120 or 1120S and have an extension of your March 16, 2015, filing deadline.
- Establish a SEP plan for 2014 if you file Form 1120 or 1120S and have an extension of your March 16, 2015, filing deadline.
- Make final required minimum contributions for 2014 calendar-year money purchase and defined benefit plans.
- Elect (or change a standing election) for single-employer defined benefit plans to:
- use funding balances to offset the minimum required contribution for the 2014 plan year,
- credit excess contributions for the 2014 plan year to the plan’s prefunding balance, and
- revoke a previous election to use a funding balance to offset the minimum required contribution for the 2014 plan year, to the extent the election exceeded the full minimum required contribution for the year (only for plans with valuation dates that aren’t the first day of the plan year).
September 30: Obtain AFTAP certification from the plan’s enrolled actuary to avoid triggering benefit restrictions under Internal Revenue Code Section 436 through at least the end of 2015 if you sponsor a single-employer defined benefit plan.
October 1: Establish a SIMPLE IRA plan for 2015.