Civil and Criminal Actions
While most preparers provide excellent service to their clients, some unscrupulous return preparers file false and fraudulent tax returns and ultimately defraud their clients. When the IRS becomes aware of these, it works with the U.S. Department of Justice to obtain civil injunctions or to criminally prosecute such preparers. Find out more.
Department of Justice press releases on civil and criminal actions taken as a result of IRS enforcement activities (including return preparers):
- List of Criminal and Civil Actions 2013
- List of Criminal and Civil Actions 2012
- List of Criminal and Civil Actions 2011
- Abusive Return Preparer — Criminal Investigation: overview and other information on abusive tax return preparation
- Examples of Abusive Return Preparer Investigations - Fiscal Year 2013: court case summaries