IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

General Guidance Question

Question: How do I submit a name change request?

Answer: If your name changes after you obtain your PTIN, you may submit a name change request in writing along with a notarized or certified copy of documentation supporting the name change. We cannot accept faxes or make a change to your name over the phone. Please allow 4-6 weeks for a response. We will accept the following documents:

  • Marriage certificate
  • Divorce decree
  • Court ordered legal name change
  • Certificate of naturalization
  • Certificate of citizenship
  • Social Security card
  • Government issued photo identification

Send your request and supporting documents to:

IRS Tax Professional PTIN Processing Center
104 Brookeridge Drive #5000
Waterloo, IA 50702

Return to Return Preparer Program FAQs                                     Access Online PTIN System

Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 21-Aug-2014