Information and Technical Guidance for Software Developers and Transmitters
LATE BREAKING NEWS! Contains important information and updates on electronic excise filing.
The following links provide information and technical guidance for software developers and transmitters who are interested in developing software for the Modernized e-File Form 2290, Heavy Highway Vehicle Use Tax Return; Form 720, Quarterly Federal Excise Tax Return; and Form 8849, Claim for Refund of Excise Taxes. You will find the XML Schemas, Business Rules, technical documents and Late Breaking News and Frequently Asked Questions.
Current User Guides & Publications
- Publication 3112, IRS e-File Application and Participation
- Publication 4163, Modernized e-File - Information for Authorized IRS e-File Providers
- Publication 4164, Modernized e-file Guide for Software Developers and Transmitters
- MeF Submission Composition Guide - Modernized e-File System
- MeF State and Trading Partners ICD
- Excise Tax Supplement (MeF State and Trading Partner ICD)
- Fed/State Modernized eFile (MeF) State Schema Development
- Publication 510, Excise Taxes
- Publication 4594, Modernized e-File Test Package For Excise Tax e-File 2010
- Publication 4594, Modernized e-File Test Package For Excise Tax e-File 2011
- Publication 4594, Modernized e-File Test Package For Excise Tax e-File 2012
- Publication 4594, Modernized e-File Test Package For Excise Tax e-File 2013
Technical support will be available through the IRS e-Help Desk, at 866-255-0654, Monday through Friday from 6:30 a.m. to 6 p.m., central time (CST), for transmitters and software developers who provide electronic excise tax filing options to taxpayers.
All ETEC (Excise Tax e-File & Compliance) Forms - Frequently Asked Questions
Form 720 -Frequently Asked Questions
Form 2290 - Trucking Tax Center
Form 8849- Frequently Asked Questions