Modernized e-File (MeF) User Guides & Publications
General information and technical guidance for Electronic Return Originators, Software Developers and Transmitters who participate in Modernized e-File (MeF) is provided below.
- Assurance Testing System (ATS)
- Foreign Country Code Listing
- Standard Postal Service State Abbreviations and ZIP Codes (Updated 1/31/14)
Upcoming changes to the MeF Portal (updated 5:00 pm, Eastern on 10/7/13)
- Portal Transition Guide - this guide is to assist software developers, transmitters, and states in the transition of MeF to the new Portal.
- ATS Certificates
- Production Certificates
Tax Year 2013 Documents
- Recommended Names for PDF Files Attached to 1040 MeF Submissions
- Recommended Names for PDF Files Attached to MeF Business Submissions
- Tax Year 2013 Accepted Forms and Schedules for MeF Returns
- Tax Year 2013 Return Due Dates
Publication 1436, Test Package for Electronic Filers of Individual Income Tax Returns for Tax Year 2013
Publication 3112, IRS e-File Application and Participation
Publication 4163, Modernized e-File (MeF) Information for Authorized IRS e-file Providers for Business Returns
Publication 4164, Modernized e-File (MeF) Guide for Software Developers and Transmitters
Publication 5078, Modernized e-File (MeF) Test Package (Business Submissions)
Automated Enrollment (AE) (Rev 10/2007)
MeF State and Trading Partners Reference Guide (Rev 10/2012)
MeF Submission Composition Guide (Rev 8/2013)
Modernized e-File (MeF) Service Request Guidance for Software Developers/Transmitters and States (Version 1.0 dated 8/2012)
Application-To-Application (A2A) Toolkit (updated 4:00 pm, Eastern on 12/13/12)
The A2A MeF Software Development Kit (SDK) Toolkit provides software tools and documentation making it easier to build the A2A Client Application for transmitters and states. The toolkit will make it much easier to set up the service requests you need to develop to access the MeF system.
The A2A Toolkit is now available to those transmitters and states interested in using the Modernized e-File (MeF) system to send or receive returns. If you are interested in receiving the toolkit, please send an e-mail to the MeF Mailbox to request a copy. Please put A2A Toolkit in the subject line and include your name, your company name, address and phone number along with your request for the toolkit.
Prior Year MeF Publications and Other Information: