Signing Your Electronic Tax Return
All electronically filed tax returns must now be signed using a Personal Identification Number (PIN). A PIN is any five digits you choose (except all zeros) to use as your electronic signature.
Benefits of e-file with an Electronic Signature:
- It's simple!
- Create your own PIN using any 5 digits (other than all zeros).
- No registration required.
- No calls to the IRS to get a PIN.
- No paper signature document to mail in.
- Proof of Acceptance!
- Use it as your electronic signature.
- Your tax software will guide you through the process.
- Your tax professional can tell you about it.
There are two methods of signing individual income tax returns with an electronic signature available for taxpayers. Both the Self-Select PIN Method and the Practitioner PIN Method allow taxpayers to use a Personal Identification Number (PIN) to sign the return.