Like - Click this link to Add this page to your bookmarks Share - Click this link to Share this page through email or social media Print - Click this link to Print this page
What's New for Tax Year 2013 - 1041 e-File
- Fed/State filing is no longer available beginning with Tax Year 2013, Processing Year 2014. The State of New York has decided to not support Fed/State filing for the Form 1041 Legacy system. New York state returns can only be e-filed with Form 1041 via the Modernized e-file system.
- Effective December 02, 2013, The IRS will begin the Business Acceptance Testing System (BATS) for Software Developers and Transmitters. NOTE: BATS will end September 30, 2014. BATS is required of all Participants who develop Software and/or transmit Estate and Trust returns.
- Effective January 31st, 2014, the IRS will begin to accept and process Tax Year 2013 Estate and Trust Income Tax Returns electronically. NOTE: Production Filing will end October 15, 2014. The last day to Retransmit Reject returns is 10/20/2014. All electronically filed estate and trust returns must consist of the Form 1041, Schedules K-1, and all related forms and schedules.
- Beginning in Processing Year (PY) 2014, Modernized e-File (MeF) will be implemented for Form 1041, Income Tax Return for Estates and Trust.
- The following MeF publications are available for the 1041 MeF program and will be found on the MeF User Guides and Publications page on IRS.gov. Publication 4163, MeF Information for Authorized e-Filed Providers for Business Returns, Publication 4164, MeF Guide for Software Developers and Transmitter, Publication 5078, MeF Test Package and the MeF Submission Composition Guide for Tax Year 2013, Processing Year (PY) 2014.
- Beginning in Processing Year (PY) 2014, Amended Returns can be processed through MeF.
- Forms 5884-B and 8938 cannot be e-filed via the 1041 Legacy system and their corresponding Record Layouts have been removed from Publication 1438.
Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 19-Feb-2014