Internal Revenue Bulletin: 2013-4
January 22, 2013
Guidance Regarding Deduction and Capitalization of Expenditures Related to Tangible Property; Corrections
Table of Contents
- FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
- SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION:
- Correction of Publication
This document contains correcting amendments to the temporary regulations (T.D. 9564, 2012-14 I.R.B. 614), which were published in the Federal Register on Tuesday, December 27, 2011, relating to guidance regarding deduction and capitalization of expenditures related to tangible property. These amendments revise the general asset account regulations to provide the time and manner of making a general asset account election. The amendatory instructions of T.D. 9564 inadvertently redesignated paragraphs (m)(2) and (m)(3) for the general asset account regulations as in effect before T.D. 9564 as paragraphs (l)(2) and (l)(3) for the general asset account regulations as amended by T.D. 9564. These correcting amendments will affect all taxpayers that make a general asset account election.
Kathleen Reed or Patrick Clinton, Office Associate Chief Counsel (Income Tax & Accounting), (202) 622-4930 (not a toll-free call).
The regulations that are the subject of these corrections are under section 168 of the Internal Revenue Code.
Accordingly, 26 CFR Part 1 is amended by making the following correcting amendments.
Paragraph 1. The authority citation for part 1 continues to read as follows:
Authority: 26 U.S.C. 7805 * * *
Section 1.168(i)-1 also issued under 26 U.S.C. 168(i)(4). * * *
Par. 2. Section 1.168(i)-0 is amended by revising the entry in the table of contents for paragraph (m) of § 1.168(i)-1 to read as follows:
* * * * *
(m) [Reserved]. For further guidance, see the entry for § 1.168(i)-1T(m).
Par. 3. Section 1.168(i)-1 is amended by revising paragraphs (l)(2) and (l)(3) to read as follows:
* * * * *
(l) * * *
(2) Time for making election. The election to apply this section shall be made on the taxpayer’s timely filed (including extensions) income tax return for the taxable year in which the assets included in the general asset account are placed in service by the taxpayer.
(3) Manner of making election. In the year of election, a taxpayer makes the election under this section by typing or legibly printing at the top of the Form 4562, “GENERAL ASSET ACCOUNT ELECTION MADE UNDER SECTION 168(i)(4),” or in the manner provided for on Form 4562 and its instructions. The taxpayer shall maintain records (for example, “General Asset Account #1—all 1995 additions in asset class 00.11 for Salt Lake City, Utah facility”) that identify the assets included in each general asset account, that establish the unadjusted depreciable basis and depreciation reserve of the general asset account, and that reflect the amount realized during the taxable year upon dispositions from each general asset account. (But see section 179(c) and § 1.179-5 for the recordkeeping requirements for section 179 property.) The taxpayer’s recordkeeping practices should be consistently applied to the general asset accounts. If Form 4562 is revised or renumbered, any reference in this section to that form shall be treated as a reference to the revised or renumbered form.
* * * * *
Guy R. Traynor,
Federal Register Liaison,
Publication & Regulations Branch,
Legal Processing Division,
Associate Chief Counsel
Procedure & Administration.
(Filed by the Office of the Federal Register on December 18, 2012, 8:45 a.m., and published in the issue of the Federal Register for December 19, 2012, 77 F.R. 75016)
|More Internal Revenue Bulletins|