Am I Eligible to Claim an Education Credit?
This application will help you determine if you are eligible for certain educational credits or deductions including the American Opportunity Credit, the Lifetime Learning Credit and the Tuition and Fees Deduction.
The tool is designed for use by taxpayers that were U.S. citizens or resident aliens for the entire tax year for which they are inquiring about. If married, the spouse must also have been a U.S. citizen or resident alien for the entire tax year. For information regarding nonresidents or dual status aliens, please see Publication 519, U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens.
Information You Will Need:
- Filing status
- Student’s enrollment status
- Your adjusted gross income
- Who paid the expenses, when the expenses were paid and for what academic period
- If any expenses were paid with tax exempt funds
- If any expenses were paid with distributions from a Coverdell Education Savings Account or Qualified Tuition Program
Estimated Completion Time: 10 minutes. However: 5 minutes of inactivity will end the interview and you will be forced to start over.