Coming Soon to the Modernized e-File (MeF) Program
The IRS will be adding the following tax types to the Modernized e-File Program in Processing Year 2014:
- 94x (Employment Tax) Form Family - MeF will add the following Employment Tax Returns and their associated forms and schedules: 940, 940-PR, 941, 941-PR, 941-SS, 943, 943-PR, 944, and 945.
Information regarding the 94x MeF Development includes a complete list of the 94x MeF Forms, a list of the Tax Year 2012 Dependencies, the Tax Year 2012 94x Schemas, and a 94x MeF and Legacy Comparison Document.
- 1041 (Estates & Trusts) Form Family. MeF will add the 1041 return and its
associated forms and schedules.
We are providing the following for the 1041 MeF program:
- Early-Look schemas. This package was developed using Tax Year 2012 forms.
- List of dependencies that can be attached to the 1041 in the MeF program.
- Comparison of 1041 MeF program to Legacy 1041 program.
- 1041 MeF Federal/State Memorandum of Understanding (MOU).
- 1041 MeF State Participation.
94x and 1041 Scheduled Implementation
MeF plans to begin processing Forms 94x and 1041 returns in Processing Year 2014 for the following tax years/processing years:
|Form||Tax Year||Processing Year||Return Type|
|94x||TY2014||PY2014||Quarters 1, 2, & 3|
During the first year of deployment (Processing Year 2014), MeF and ELF (Legacy System) will operate concurrently. The following year, the existing 94x and 1041 ELF programs will be phased out.
MeF Working Group Meetings
To keep updated on the status and changes to 94x and 1041 MeF, States and external partners are encouraged to attend the MeF Working Group meetings and check this page for updates. MeF Working Group meetings are held the last Tuesday of every month. To be added to the distribution list, please forward your Name, Company Name and email address to the MeF Mailbox.