Current scams and phishing sites posing as the IRS
Aug. 20, 2010:
There is a fraud risk you need to be aware of. It is related to the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System.
If you receive a message claiming to be from the IRS or EFTPS, please:
- Do not reply to the sender, access links on the site or submit any information to them.
- Forward the message as-is immediately to us at email@example.com.
- How to report and identify phishing, e-mail scams and bogus IRS websites.
- If you receive a suspicious e-mail or discover a website posing as the IRS, please forward the e-mail or URL information to the IRS at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- EFTPS is a tax payment system provided free by the U.S. Department of Treasury. Pay federal taxes electronically via the Internet or phone 24/7. Visit EFTPS to enroll.
The IRS does not initiate taxpayer communications through e-mail.