Economic Stimulus Payment Information Center
Most taxpayers who received the economic stimulus payment last year will not qualify for the recovery rebate credit on their 2008 federal income tax return. However, some individuals who did not get the economic stimulus payment, and a smaller number of those who did, may be eligible for the recovery rebate credit. If you didn't get an economic stimulus payment in 2008, you may be eligible to receive the recovery rebate credit in 2009.
To determine if you are eligible for the recovery rebate credit you will need to know how much your 2008 economic stimulus payment was. Our online tool, How Much Was My Stimulus Payment?, can get you the answer right away.
Visit the Recovery Rebate Credit Information Center for details.
If You Didn't File for a Stimulus Payment
If you didn't file for an economic stimulus payment in 2008 because you weren't sure you were eligible, you may be able to file for a payment in 2009. Find out more if you:
Receive Social Security retirement or disability benefits
- Receive Veterans Affairs pension, disability or survivor's benefits
- Receive Tier 1 Railroad Retirement benefits
- Are a low-wage worker
Find Out if You're Eligible
You are eligible if:
- You or your family has at least $3,000 in qualifying income from, or in combination with, Social Security benefits, Veterans Affairs benefits, Railroad Retirement benefits and earned income. Supplemental Security Income (SSI) does not count as qualifying income for the stimulus payment.
- You and any family members listed on your tax return have valid Social Security numbers.
- You are not a dependent or eligible to be a dependent on someone else’s federal tax return. (The same must be true of any family members claimed on your return.)
How Much Is It Worth?
Eligible individuals — between $300 and $600
- Joint filers — between $600 and $1,200
- With eligible children — an additional $300 for each qualifying child
The actual amount depends on the information on your tax return.
If you're not sure what the payment is all about, read the basic information.
Find the Answer
Frequently asked questions about eligibility, payment amounts, payment delivery and more
Information For Businesses
Information on the business provisions of the economic stimulus payment.
For More Information
Check out our:
Flyers, public service announcements and other marketing products for IRS's partners and others
Identity thieves are using the stimulus payment as bait in their scams. Details can be found in news release IR-2008-11, IRS Warns of New E-Mail and Telephone Scams Using the IRS Name; Advance Payment Scams Starting.