IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Education Tax Credits and Deductions (ASL) - YouTube video text script

Hi, I’m Patti, and I work for the IRS. 
If you or your kids are attending college, don't forget about the various education tax benefits that may be available to you.
Some people overlook these important credits.  
You’ll need to figure out which of these you’re eligible for and the one that’s best for you. 
But one of the most popular is the American Opportunity Tax Credit.
If you qualify, you could get a tax credit up to a $2,500 per student for tuition, books and certain fees you pay during the first four years of higher education.
And even if you don't earn enough to have to file a tax return, you should file one anyway because you could still get a refund up to $1,000 for each eligible student.
The starting point to figure your credit is a Form 1098-T.
That’s the tuition statement you get from the college, showing how much tuition and other qualifying expenses were paid for the student.
Check with your school if you haven't received your tuition statement and remember, be sure to keep your receipts.
So, whether you’re sending the kids off to college or working on your own college degree, find out more about all the education credits and deductions at


Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 14-Mar-2014