IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return

Use Form 1040X to do the following.

  • Correct Forms 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ, 1040NR, or 1040NR-EZ.
  • Make certain elections after the prescribed deadline.
  • Change amounts previously adjusted by the IRS.
  • Make a claim for a carryback due to a loss or unused credit.

File a separate Form 1040X for each year you are amending. If you are changing your federal return, you also may need to change your state return.

Current Products

Form 1040X

Instructions for Form 1040X (HTML)

Recent Developments


Other Items You May Find Useful:

All Form 1040X Revisions

Form 843, Claim for Refund and Request for Abatement

Form 1040, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return

Form 1040A, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return

Form 1040EZ, Income Tax Return for Single and Joint Filers With No Dependents

Form 1045, Application for Tentative Refund

Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation

Other Current Products

Comment of Form 1040X

Use the Comment on Tax Forms and Publications web form to provide feedback on the content of this product. Although we cannot respond individually to each comment, we do appreciate your feedback and will consider all comments submitted.

CAUTION: We cannot respond to tax-related questions submitted using this page. Instead, please visit Tax Law Questions or call our toll-free number at 1-800-829-1040 (Individuals) or 1-800-829-4933 (Business).

Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 25-Nov-2013