Free On-Line Electronic Tax Filing Agreement
This Agreement provides for free on-line tax return preparation and filing to individual taxpayers, thereby meeting the following five objectives:
- Assuring access to a free and secure electronic preparation and filing option for additional taxpayers, building upon free electronic tax preparation and filing provided in the commercial market today;
- Making tax return preparation and filing easier and reducing the burden on individual taxpayers;
- Supporting the IRS's statutory goals of increased e- filing, pursuant to the IRS Restructuring and Reform Act of 1998, which encouraged the IRS to set a goal of having 80% of Federal tax and information returns filed electronically by the year 2007;
- Providing greater service and access to taxpayers; and
- Implementing one of the proposals in the President's FY'03 budget, specifically to encourage further growth in electronic filing by providing taxpayers the option to file their tax return on-on- line without charge, using cooperation with, and encouraging competition within, the private sector to increase e-filing.
- Return to Table of Contents -