Helpful Information for FIRE
Information Returns can be filed electronically. You must have software that can produce the file in the proper format as outlined in:
- Publication 1220, Specifications for Electronic Filing of Forms 1097, 1098, 1099, 3921, 3922, 5498, and W-2G
- Publications 1239, Specifications for Electronic Filing of Form 8027, Employer's Annual Information Return of Tip Income and Allocated Tips
- Publication 1187, Specifications for Electronic Filing of Form 1042-S, Foreign Person's U.S. Source Income Subject to Withholding
- Publication 1516, Specifications for Electronic Filing of Forms 8596, Information Returns for Federal Contracts
- Publication 4810, Specifications for Electronic Filing of Form 8955-SSA, Annual Registration Statement of Identifying Separated Participants With Deferred Vested Benefits
Fill-in Forms are available for Form 4419, Application for Filing Information Returns Electronically (FIRE) and Form 8809, Extension of Time to File Information Returns. IRS does not provide an electronic fill-in form option for filing information returns.
Forms W-2 are filed with the Social Security Administration (SSA). For more information, log on to SSA's employer page.
Contact the IRS for information return and electronic filing assistance Monday through Friday
1-866-455-7438 Toll Free
1-304-579-4827 Telecommunications Device for the Deaf (TDD)
The numbers listed above cannot provide assistance with individual taxpayer returns or account related issues. For assistance options, see Help & Resources