Individual e-file Electronic Tax Filing Program Overview
How to e-file your taxes online? It's as easy as 1-2-3 !
Step 1 - Get all your tax information together! - You'll save time and won't have to stop in the middle of preparing your current year tax return to find a missing document. Here's what you'll need :
- Social Security numbers for yourself, your spouse, and any dependents.
- Forms W-2 from all employers are required for yourself and your spouse.
- Forms 1099 for Dividends, Retirement, or other income, or any Forms 1099 with Income Tax Withholding.
- Receipts for expenses for Itemized Deductions (Schedule A).
- Receipts and records for other income or expenses.
- Bank Account numbers (for a fast refund, or to pay electronically).
- Prior year Adjusted Gross Income amount or prior year PIN if using a Self-Select PIN as your signature.
- Complete information on what records you need, and how long to keep your records.
- Tax Professional
- Personal Computer
- Free File
Step 3 - e-file it!
Paid Preparer - If using a Tax Preparer, be sure to take all your information with you, and don't forget to ask for IRS e-file! Use our locator service to find an Authorized IRS e-file Provider nearest you.
Personal Computer - Those filing taxes online, just answer the simple questions in your tax preparation software, and the software will do the rest for you. For faster refunds, or to pay when YOU want to, have your bank account number handy.
Find an option that best fits your needs. It's easy…
- Visit our Free File web page
Relax. You're done. Now SHARE - tell a family member or friend IRS e-file is the smart way to electronically file their federal and state income tax returns!