Become A Tax Volunteer
How can you make a difference? Simple. Help your community prepare taxes by becoming a volunteer with the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) or Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) Programs.
As a committed Tax Volunteer you’ll be assigned to work with a sponsoring organization, first to receive training and then to begin volunteering at a location in your community. Training is offered both online and in the classroom. Tax sites are generally open nights and weekends and the hours are flexible. You will be sure to find a volunteer site close to you.
Here are six good reasons to do it:
- No previous experience is required. Volunteers receive specialized training and have the option of serving in a variety of roles. If you’re fluent in a language other than English, you can help those who do not speak English.
- IRS provides free tax law training and materials that allow volunteers to prepare basic individual income tax returns. Volunteers learn many aspects of tax return preparation. This includes tax deductions and credits that benefit eligible taxpayers, like the Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit and Credit for the Elderly.
- The hours are flexible. Volunteers generally serve an average of three to five hours per week through the tax filing deadline.
- Volunteer sites are located throughout the nation. You’ll find them in neighborhood centers, libraries, schools, shopping malls and other convenient locations. VITA and TCE sites offer free electronic filing for both federal and state tax returns.
- Veteran and non-veteran volunteers may be able to help military personnel and their families.
- As a volunteer, you become part of a program that has helped people file tax returns at no charge for more than four decades. With VITA and TCE, you do make a difference. It’s people helping people. It's that simple.
You will provide free tax help for low-to-moderate income families who need assistance preparing their tax returns. Nearly 92,000 people said yes to making a difference during the 2013 filing season and prepared over 3.3 million returns at thousands of tax sites nationwide.
Submit your interest now by completing and emailing Form 14310, VITA/TCE Volunteer Sign Up, to TaxVolunteer@irs.gov. It’s a rewarding way to give back to your community.