Phase 1 – Create an IRS e-Services Account
Before you begin the electronic IRS e-file application, you must have an IRS e-Services account, which facilitates electronic interaction with the IRS. When you apply for an e-Services account, you will need to:
- Provide your legal name, Social Security Number (SSN), birth date, telephone number, e-mail address AND your home mailing address (confirmation of your account will be mailed to you);
- Provide your Adjusted Gross Income from the current or prior tax year;
- Create a username, a password and a PIN and provide an answer to a reminder question for your username;
- Make sure that every Principal and Responsible Official in your firm signs up for e-Services; and
- Return to e-Services to confirm your registration within 28 days of receiving your confirmation code in the mail.
You can find definitions of a Principal and a Responsible Official in the section titled " Principals and Responsible Officials".
The verification and approval process for creating an account with IRS e-Services can take several days, so plan accordingly.
- next -