IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

SOI Tax Stats - SOI Bulletin: Spring 2010

Return to Tax Stats home page

Excel Viewer

Adobe® Reader


Statistics of Income (SOI) Bulletin - Spring 2010
(entire publication in PDF)

High-Income Tax Returns for 2007
by Justin Bryan

For 2007, of the 4,535,623 income tax returns with AGI of $200,000 or more, 10,465 (0.231 percent) showed no U.S. income tax liability, and 4,841 (0.107 percent) showed no worldwide income tax liability. For 2006, of the 4,064,883 returns with AGI of $200,000 and over, 8,252 returns (0.203 percent) had no U.S. income tax liability, and 4,123 returns (0.101 percent) had no worldwide income tax liability.
For 2007, of the 4,576,315 tax returns with expanded income of $200,000 or more, 13,142 (0.287 percent) had no U.S. income tax liability, and 4,354 (0.095 percent) had no worldwide income tax liability. For 2006, of the 4,094,953 returns with expanded income of $200,000 or more, there were 11,014 (0.269 percent) with no U.S. income tax liability and 4,322 (0.106 percent) with no worldwide income tax liability.

Excel Tables:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12

Related Link:

Individual High Income Tax Returns



Individual Noncash Contributions, 2007
by Pearson Liddell and Janette Wilson

For Tax Year 2007, 23.8 million individual taxpayers who itemized deductions reported $58.7 billion in deductions for noncash charitable contributions. Of these taxpayers, 6.9 million reported $52.8 billion in deductions for charitable contributions on Form 8283, Noncash Charitable Contributions. The number of filers increased 12.3 percent from 6.2 million in Tax Year 2006, and the amount claimed in donations increased 12.8 percent from $46.8 billion in 2006. Corporate stock donations of $23.7 billion accounted for the largest percentage of total noncash donations (44.9 percent), followed by clothing donations of $7.6 billion, and land donations of $4.0 billion.

Excel Tables:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Related Link:

Individual Income Tax Return (Form 1040) Statistics

2007 Gifts
by Melissa J. Belvedere

There were a total of 257,485 gift tax returns filed in 2008. 247,932 returns, or 96.3 percent, were nontaxable. The remaining 9,553 (3.7 percent) were taxable. Female donors filed 51.8 percent of all gift tax returns, of which 4.2 percent were taxable. Male donors filed 48.2 percent of all returns, of which 3.1 percent were taxable.
The reported total amount of gifts was $45.2 billion. There were marital deductions claimed in the amount of $1.2 billion, and charitable deductions in the amount of $6.5 billion. The amount of total taxable gifts made in the current period, by all donors, was $28.1 billion. Cash was the predominant type of asset gifted, comprising $20.9 billion, or 46.2 percent, of the total. Gifts of corporate stock were the second largest type, comprising 23 percent, or $10.6 billion, of the total, while real estate was the third largest ($7.7 billion, or 17.0 percent).

Excel Tables:

Related Link:

Fiduciary Income Panel, Tax Years 2002 Through 2006
by Lisa Schreiber Rosenmerkel and Joseph Newcomb

Preparers for 413,106 simple trusts filed Form 1041 for each tax year from 2002 through 2006. Total income for simple trusts was $15.3 billion in 2002 and reached $26.0 billion in 2006, while total deductions grew from $12.3 billion to $15.0 billion over the same period. Preparers for 706,555 complex trusts consistently filed Form 1041 for Tax Years 2002 through 2006.  Total income from complex trusts increased steadily over the duration of the panel, from $27.5 billion in Tax Year 2002 to $60.0 billion in Tax Year 2006.  Total deductions increased from $15.2 billion in Tax Year 2002 to $20.2 billion in Tax Year 2006.

Excel Tables:

 

Related Link:

 

 

 

In the Next Issue
The following articles are tentatively planned for inclusion in the summer 2010 issue of the Statistics of Income Bulletin, scheduled to be published in August 2010:

■ Sole Proprietorships, 2008
■ Foreign-Controlled Domestic Corporations, 2007
■ Corporate Foreign Tax Credit, 2006
■ International Tax Overview.

Link: Historical Tables and Appendix

Return to Tax Stats home page

Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 05-Apr-2013