Special Identity Theft Enforcement Efforts - 2012
Identity theft perpetrators are hitting credit card companies, banks and other financial institutions. Unfortunately, the tax system isn't immune. This is not something the IRS takes lightly, and we've dramatically stepped up efforts to stop refund fraud as well as identity theft prevention and detection across the entire tax system.
Our goal is to detect these attempts at refund fraud before they occur and prevent them from happening in the first place, including detecting new schemes.
The IRS is utilizing the full capabilities and resources of our Criminal Investigation division to investigate those who steal from American taxpayers through identity theft.
- Identity Theft Crackdown Sweeps Across the Nation; More than 200 Actions Taken In Past Week in 23 states
- Map of Criminal Investigation Activity: January 2012
- Press Releases on Enforcement Efforts Around the Country
- Criminal Investigation's Identity Theft Page
- Additional Identity Theft Outreach Materials
- Taxpayer Guide to Identity Theft