Statistical Information on IRS.gov
In order to improve service on our website, we automatically collect and maintain statistical information in our site's data logs that show network traffic flow and volume. These logs do not identify individuals who visit our website. This information is:
- The name of the domain from which the visitor accesses the Internet (for example, 'xcompany.com' if you use a private Internet access account; 'yourschool.edu' if you connect from an educational domain; or, 'agency.gov' if you connect from a U.S. government domain).
- The Internet Protocol (IP) Address from which you access our website.
- The date and time (with time zone) that you access our website.
- The type of browser and operating system used to access our website.
- The Internet address of the website from which you linked directly to our website.
- The Web pages on www.irs.gov that you visit. This helps to determine which information on our site the public finds most useful and enables us to make it easier to access.
- Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) packet data. This information is used to detect malicious activity on our Web site.
- Session cookie ID. This helps us determine which sequences of pages users typically view. We use this information to make the site easier to use.
- Other cookies used to validate voluntary customer survey results. These are of limited duration and cannot be used to identify survey participants or track their page or web site visits.
- Visitor Display Color Depth (e.g., 32 bits, 24 bits, etc.) and Visitor Screen Resolution (e.g., 1024 x 768 pixels, 800 x 600 pixels, etc.). This information helps determine the colors and sizes of graphics and other design elements that work best on our site.
- Number of bytes received helps determine the computer and network capacity required to make the site available to the public.
All of this data is retained for a minimum of 90 days to comply with federal record-keeping requirements, and then deleted. Collection and analysis of this information in the aggregate will enable us to enhance site performance, improve informational materials available on our website, and improve overall customer service.