Step 1 - Create an IRS e-services Account
Before you begin the electronic IRS e-file application, you must have an IRS e-services account, which facilitates electronic interaction with the IRS. When you apply for an e-services account, you must:
- Provide your legal name, Social Security Number (SSN), date of birth, phone number, e-mail address and your home mailing address (confirmation of your account will be mailed to you);
- Provide your Adjusted Gross Income from the current or prior tax year;
- Create a username, a password and a PIN and provide an answer to a question to recover username;
- Make sure that every Principal and Responsible Official in your firm signs up for e-services; and
- Return to e-services to confirm your registration within 28 days of receiving your confirmation code in the mail.