Step 2 - Submit Your Application to Become an Authorized IRS e-file Provider
Your firm can begin the IRS e-file application once all Principals have created their e-services accounts. The application process is necessary to protect the integrity and security of the electronic filing system. The process is comprehensive and designed to allow you to save your data during the session and to return to the application when convenient. Plan accordingly; the IRS may take up to 45 days to approve an application. The e-file application prompts for missing information to ensure that applicants submit only complete applications to the IRS.
Here are the key steps of the application process:
- Log in to e-services and access the e-file application;
- Select your e-file Provider Options — return preparers who want to e-file for a client should select Electronic Return Originator (ERO);
- Enter identification information for your firm, as well as services provided to taxpayers;
- Enter the name, home address, social security number, date of birth and citizenship status for each Principal and Responsible Official in your organization;
- Enter the current professional information for Principals and Responsible Officials if an attorney, certified public accountant, enrolled agent, officer of a publicly traded corporation, or a bonded bank official.
- Call the IRS toll free at 866-255-0654 to request a fingerprint card for any Principal or Responsible Official who is not an attorney, certified public accountant, or enrolled agent, officer of a publicly traded corporation, or a bonded bank official, and
- Get fingerprinted by a trained professional at your local police station or at a company that provides this service. Write the tracking number provided after successful transmission of the application and mail the signed card to the IRS at Andover Campus, ATTN. EFU Acceptance, Testing Stop 983, 310 Lowell Street, Andover, MA 01812.
- Each Principal and Responsible Official must answer several personal questions, and sign the Terms of Agreement (TOA) using a PIN selected when creating an e-services account. In addition, each Principal and Responsible Official must declare under penalty of perjury that the personal information is true.
- Submit the IRS e-file Application and retain the tracking number provided after successful submission of the application.
Help is available when completing the application by clicking designated words and symbols. Contact e-help toll-free at (866) 255-0654, for assistance with the IRS e-file Application.