IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

W-2 Missing? (ASL) - YouTube video text script

Hi, I’m Patrick and I work for the IRS.

What if you want to file your tax return but you still have not received your W-2.

Employers should send this to you by January 31st.

Allow two weeks for your W-2 to arrive in the mail.

If you don't get it by February 14th, the first thing you should do is contact your employer.

If you've moved, make sure they have your current address.

Now, if you do that and still don't get your W-2, then call us at 1- 800-TAX- 1040.

We'll send a letter to your employer on your behalf.

Just give us your name, address, phone number, social security number and the name and address of your employer and when you worked there.

In the meantime, remember that you must file on time even if you don't receive your W-2.

You can use Form 4852 as a substitute for your W-2.

Just list your estimated wages and withholding on Form 4852 and attach it to your tax return.

You can use a pay stub or similar statement to help you estimate the amounts.

Then, make sure you file your tax return on time.

If later on you should receive your W-2 and discover you have to correct your tax return as a result, just fill out Form 1040-X to amend your return.

To learn more, go to

Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 24-Feb-2015