IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Free File What you need to get started

  • A copy of last year's tax return
  • Last year's 2013 Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) or last year's Personal Identification Number to verify your identity. Don’t guess, an incorrect AGI or PIN can cause your return to reject. Get an online Electronic Filing PIN, a five digit PIN from the IRS or call the IRS toll-free line at1-866-704-7388.
  • Valid Social Security Numbers for yourself and your spouse if applicable
  • Valid Social Security Numbers for your dependents if applicable
  • Forms W-2 from all of your employers
  • Forms 1099-INT showing interest paid to you throughout the year
  • Form 1099-G showing any refund, credit or offset of state and local taxes
  • All receipts pertaining to your small business if applicable
  • Forms 1099-DIV and Forms 1099-R
  • Income receipts from rental, real estate, royalties, partnerships, S corporation, trusts
  • Unemployment compensation
  • Social Security benefits
  • Other income
  • Valid email address - To get a notification from the Free File software company that your return was accepted by IRS, you need a valid email address

Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 08-Dec-2014