Where to Get Additional Information
The IRS offers a number of ways to find out what Providers need to know. Below are the best sources of information for frequently asked questions.
Where can I find the most current information about IRS e-file?
Visit "Tax Pros and Partners"
How does the IRS keep Authorized IRS e-file Providers (Providers) informed of operational issues?
The IRS posts all important operations information on this Web-site.
The IRS also notifies Providers of important information via "QuickAlerts" e-file Messaging System and various other subscription services.
- QuickAlerts - QuickAlerts provides first hand knowledge of processing delays the moment they happen e-mail.
- IRS Newswire - Provides news releases and other documents via e-mail as the IRS National Media Relations Office in Washington, DC issues them.
- IRS Tax Tips - Provides tax information via e-mail from the IRS daily during the tax-filing season and periodically the rest of the year.
- Tax Stats Dispatch Mailing List - Provides announcements via e-mail which cover the most recent tax statistics.
- e-News for Small Businesses - Provides information about IRS small business and self-employed outreach products and programs via e-mail.
- IRS GuideWire - Provides advance copies of tax guidance such as Revenue Rulings, Revenue Procedures, Announcements and Notices by e-mail.
- e-News Subscriptions - Provides the latest national news for the tax professional community, as well as links to resources on IRS.gov and local news and events by state.
Where can I find the current filing season information I need?
The IRS updates Modernized e-file (MeF) program information prior to each filing season.
If I get correspondence from the IRS, who can I call for more information?
All letters from the IRS have a contact telephone number to reach the person best able to help you with your questions.
Where can I find telephone numbers and addresses for other services provided by the IRS?
Providers may find addresses and telephone numbers at Help & Resources.
What information should I give taxpayers so they can inquire about the status of their individual income tax refunds?
Taxpayers should be advised to check the status of their individual income tax refunds using Where’s My Refund? or they may call (800) 829-1954.
Where can I get information about electronic payment options?
Taxpayers can find information about electronic payment options at the Electronic Payment Options Home Page.
How Do I Report Suspected Tax Fraud Activity?
If you suspect or know of an individual or company that is not complying with the tax laws, see "How Do You Report Suspected Tax Fraud Activity?"
My software doesn’t work, what should I do?
The IRS does not develop or sell tax preparation or electronic return data transmission software. If problems exist, Providers should contact the vendor who sold them the software or the technical support operation that comes with the software package.
Where can I get information about the IRS Nationwide Tax Forums?
This information can be found at IRS Nationwide Tax Forum Information.
Where can I get more information about filing both federal and state individual income tax returns?
Additional information is available at Welcome to TIGERS.
Often, the Provider offering comprehensive one-stop tax service is the most successful. If the Provider is not participating in Federal/State e-file, it is missing a business opportunity to offer its clients and customers the benefits and convenience of filing both federal and state tax returns electronically. See Federal/State e-file.
- Table of Contents - - next-