EO Update September 6, 2013
Issue Number: 2013-19
Inside This Issue
- New interactive Form 1023 available for review
- Register for EO workshops
- Sign up for upcoming phone forums
1. New interactive Form 1023 available for review
In an effort to make applying for tax exemption easier, the IRS Exempt Organizations (EO) office is in the development stage of an alternate version of Form 1023, Application for Recognition of Exemption. The new application is available for preview until September 20, 2013.
The Interactive Form 1023 (i1023) features pop-up information boxes for most lines of the form. These boxes contain explanations and links to related information on IRS.gov and StayExempt.irs.gov, EO’s educational website. When final testing is completed later this year, you'll print and mail the form and its attachments just like the standard Form 1023.
Although viewers are unable to print or submit this “review” version of i1023, EO encourages the public to click through its new features and promote the i1023 to colleagues and business associates. After reviewing the i1023, please send your comments to email@example.com.
Anticipated i1023 benefits:
- Applicants will be able to submit a more complete form
- IRS processing time is reduced
- Applicants receive a tax-exempt determination more quickly
The i1023 was developed from recommendations by the IRS’ Advisory Committee on Tax-Exempt and Government Entities (ACT).
2. Register for EO workshops
Register for upcoming workshops for small and medium-sized 501(c)(3) organizations:
- Sept. 9 – St. Paul, MN
Hosted by Hamline University
- Sept. 10 – Minneapolis, MN
Hosted by University of St. Thomas
- Sept. 27 – Albuquerque, NM
Hosted by University of New Mexico
Oct. 16-17 – Lakeland, FL
- Hosted by Florida Southern College
3. Sign up for upcoming phone forums
Register for these phone forums:
- Exempt Organizations and Employment Taxes (Sept. 10, 2 p.m., EDT)
Even organizations that don’t use paid workers on a regular basis should be aware of employment tax issues.
- Stay Exempt: A guide for charitable organizations with changing leadership (Sept. 18, 2 p.m. EDT)
Helps organizations stay tax-exempt – organized and operated exclusively for exempt purposes.