EO Update November 18, 2008
Issue Number: 2008-17
Inside This Issue
- IRS Commissioner Speaks on Tax Compliance and Transparency in Tax-Exempt Sector
- Tax Talk Today: Preparing for the New Form 990
- Update on College and University Compliance Questionnaire
- Most Organizations Not Required to File Form 8734
- IRS Seeks Applications for TE/GE Advisory Committee
- Register Now for Memphis Workshops for Small and Mid-Sized Exempt Organizations
1. IRS Commissioner Speaks on Tax Compliance and Transparency in Tax-Exempt Sector
Read the remarks of Commissioner Shulman about the role of the IRS in promoting tax compliance and transparency in the tax-exempt sector. The Commissioner spoke before the annual conference of Independent Sector, a leadership forum for charities, foundations, and corporate giving programs, on November 10, 2008.
2. Tax Talk Today: Preparing for the New Form 990
Did you miss the live presentation of Preparing for the New Form 990? It's not too late to register and watch the archived edition of the webcast . Once you are registered, simply log in, click on "Programs," and click on "Archives" to find the recording of the Form 990 broadcast.
3. Update on College and University Compliance Questionnaire
The IRS has extended the due date for responding to the university and college compliance questionnaire to February 6, 2009 and has posted frequently asked questions about the questionnaire on the IRS Charities and Nonprofits Web site.
4. Most Organizations Not Required to File Form 8734
Because the advance ruling process has been eliminated, most organizations are no longer required to file Form 8734. Unless an organization's advance ruling period expired before June 9, 2008, it is no longer required to file the form.
5. IRS Seeks Applications for TE/GE Advisory Committee
The IRS is seeking applications for vacancies on the Advisory Committee on Tax Exempt and Government Entities (ACT). Applications will be accepted through December 1, 2008.
6. Register Now for Memphis Workshops for Small and Mid-Sized Exempt Organizations
These introductory one-day workshops designed for administrators or volunteers responsible for an organization's tax compliance will be held in Memphis,TN, December 2, 3, and 4.