EO Update September 19, 2008
Issue Number 2008-14
In This Issue:
- Tax Talk Today Webcast: Preparing for the New Form 990
- Western Conference on Tax Exempt Organizations
- New EO On-line Mini-Courses Now Available
- Register Now for Fall Workshops for Small and Mid-Sized 501(c)(3) Organizations
- Priority Guidance Plan Issued
- IRS Releases Interim Report on 501(c)(3) Bonds Project
- Disaster Relief for Texas and Louisiana
1. Tax Talk Today Webcast: Preparing for the New Form 990
Register now to watch this free, live on-line program for tax practitioners on November 4, 2008. IRS and tax-exempt sector experts will help you prepare to file the redesigned Form 990.
2. Western Conference on Tax Exempt Organizations
The annual Western Conference on Tax Exempt Organizations will be held on November 20-21, 2008, in Los Angeles, California. The two-day program for tax professionals and organization executives is jointly sponsored by IRS Exempt Organizations and Loyola Law School. Early bird registration closes October 24, 2008.
3. New EO On-line Mini-Courses Now Available
New! StayExempt.org now features free web-based mini-courses on current topics of interest to exempt organizations. Learn about navigating IRS resources, applying for tax exempt status, the ban on political campaign intervention, foundation classification, and the charitable contribution deduction. Courses on the new Form 990 coming soon.
4. Register Now for Fall Workshops for Small and Mid-Sized 501(c)(3) Organizations
These introductory one-day workshops designed for administrators or volunteers responsible for an organization's tax compliance will be held in Chicago, IL (October 21, 22, and 23), Detroit, MI (November 18, 19, and 20) and in Memphis,TN (December 2, 3, and 4). Get more information and register.
5. Priority Guidance Plan Issued
Each year the Treasury Department's Office of Tax Policy and IRS identify and prioritize the tax issues that should be addressed through regulations and other published guidance. The Priority Guidance Plan for 2008-2009 contains a number of items of interest to tax-exempt organizations.
6. IRS Releases Interim Report on 501(c)(3) Bonds Project
The IRS office of Tax Exempt Bonds has released an interim report of findings of a project designed to determine whether 501(c)(3) organizations that use tax-exempt bonds to finance their operations are aware of their post-issuance compliance and record retention responsibilities.
7. Disaster Relief for Texas and Louisiana
Tax deadlines have been postponed for exempt organizations in areas affected by Hurricanes Ike and Gustav. View a list of certain acts required of exempt organizations that may be postponed in Presidentially Declared Disasters.