IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Refund Inquiries

Question: Is it possible to find out if my federal tax refund check was cashed?


If you need to know whether your federal tax refund check was cashed, you can initiate a trace on your refund by using one of the following methods:

  • You can call the IRS refund hotline at 800-829-1954 (toll-free) and either use the automated system or speak with a representative.
  • If you filed a married filing jointly return, you cannot initiate a trace using the automated systems. The IRS will issue you a Form 3911 (.pdf), Taxpayer Statement Regarding Refund, to get the process started or you can download the form.

If you are trying to obtain a photocopy of your refund check because of a dispute over the proceeds, call us at 800-829-1954 to request assistance.

By law, the IRS cannot disclose any information to you about someone else’s refund. For example, the IRS cannot discuss with you a check issued to another taxpayer.

If you lost your refund check, see I lost my refund check. How do I get a new one?

Category: IRS Procedures
Subcategory: Refund Inquiries

Please provide your feedback.

1. Was it easy to find your information within the above Frequently Asked Question?

2. How satisfied are you with the information provided within the above Frequently Asked Question?

3. If you still need help from the IRS, what would your next step be?

The OMB number for this study is 1545-1432.
If you have any comments regarding this study, please write to:
IRS, Tax Products Coordinating Committee
1111 Constitution Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20224