IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page


Question: My Form W-2 shows allocated tips in box 8. I tip-out 15% of all my tips to the busser and 5% to the bartender. Do I deduct the tipped-out amounts from the amount in box 8 when I report it on my income tax return?


No, you cannot deduct tip-outs (the tips you split with other employees) from allocated tips when you report it on your income tax return.

If your employer allocated tips to you, they are shown in box 8 of your Form W-2 (.pdf), Wage and Tax Statement. They are not included in box 1 with your wages and reported tips.

Allocated tips are amounts your employer assigned to you in addition to the tips you reported. Your employer is required to allocate tips only if:

  • You worked in a large food or beverage establishment (restaurant, cocktail lounge, or similar business),
  • You received any tips directly from customers, and
  • The tips you reported to your employer were less than your share of 8% (or a lower rate approved by the IRS, if your employer requested it) of food and drink sales.  

Generally, you must report the full amount contained in box 8 of your Form W-2. However, you do not report the entire allocated tip amount on your income tax return if you can prove with adequate records that the amount of tips you actually received was less than the allocated amount. You should keep a daily record of all tips you receive from customers and from other employees who tip-out to you and the amounts you tip-out to other employees. If you do not have records or have inadequate records, you must report the amount in box 8 as income on your income tax return.

Use Form 4137 (.pdf), Social Security and Medicare Tax on Unreported Tip Income, to figure any Social Security and Medicare taxes on allocated tips. Use Form 8959 (.pdf), Additional Medicare Tax, to figure any Additional Medicare Tax.

Additional Information:

Category: Interest, Dividends, Other Types of Income
Subcategory: Tips

Please provide your feedback.

1. Was it easy to find your information within the above Frequently Asked Question?

2. How satisfied are you with the information provided within the above Frequently Asked Question?

3. If you still need help from the IRS, what would your next step be?

The OMB number for this study is 1545-1432.
If you have any comments regarding this study, please write to:
IRS, Tax Products Coordinating Committee
1111 Constitution Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20224