IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Survivors' Benefits

Question: Are Social Security survivor benefits for children considered taxable income?


Yes, under certain circumstances, although a child generally will not receive enough additional income to make the child's Social Security benefits taxable.

  • The taxability of benefits must be determined using the income of the person entitled to receive the benefits.
  • If you and your child both receive benefits, you should calculate the taxability of your benefits separately from the taxability of your child's benefits.
  • The amount of income tax that your child must pay on that part of the benefits that belongs to your child depends on the child's total amount of income and benefits for the taxable year.

To find our whether any of the child’s benefits may be taxable, compare the base amount for the child’s filing status with the total of:

  • One-half of the child’s benefits.
  • All the child’s other income, including tax-exempt interest.

If the child is single, the base amount for the child’s filing status is $25,000. If the child is married, see Publication 915, Social Security and Equivalent Railroad Retirement Benefits, for the applicable base amount and the other rules that apply to married individuals receiving Social Security benefits.

If the total of (1) one half of the child’s Social Security benefits and (2) all the child’s other income is greater than the base amount that applies to the child’s filing status, part of the child’s Social Security benefits may be taxable. You can figure the taxable amount of the benefits on a worksheet in the Instructions for Form 1040, Instructions for Form 1040A, or in Publication 915.

Additional Information:

Category: Social Security Income
Subcategory: Survivors' Benefits

Please provide your feedback.

1. Was it easy to find your information within the above Frequently Asked Question?

2. How satisfied are you with the information provided within the above Frequently Asked Question?

3. If you still need help from the IRS, what would your next step be?

The OMB number for this study is 1545-1432.
If you have any comments regarding this study, please write to:
IRS, Tax Products Coordinating Committee
1111 Constitution Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20224