IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Amended Returns

Question: Can I file an amended Form 1040X electronically?


The Form 1040X (.pdf), Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, is not accepted electronically; only an original tax return may be electronically filed. You must file a paper Form 1040X. If you are due a refund, the IRS will issue you a check and you cannot request a direct deposit.

Additional Information:

Category: Electronic Filing (e-file)
Subcategory: Amended Returns

Please provide your feedback.

1. Was it easy to find your information within the above Frequently Asked Question?

2. How satisfied are you with the information provided within the above Frequently Asked Question?

3. If you still need help from the IRS, what would your next step be?

The OMB number for this study is 1545-1432.
If you have any comments regarding this study, please write to:
IRS, Tax Products Coordinating Committee
1111 Constitution Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20224