IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Address Changes

Question: How do I notify the IRS my address has changed?


中文    한국어    TiếngViệt    Pусский

There are several ways to tell us your new address:

Methods to Change Your Address
Method Action
Tax return Use your new address on your tax return
IRS form Use Form 8822 (.pdf), Change of Address or Form 8822-B (.pdf), Change of Address or Responsible Party - Business
Written statement

Send us a signed written statement with your:

  • full name
  • old address
  • new address
  • Social Security number (or individual taxpayer identification number or employer identification number)

Mail your statement to the address where you filed your last return

Oral notification

You can tell us in person or by telephone. We'll need to verify your identity and address. Please have ready the information we have on file for you, such as:

  • your full name
  • your address
  • your Social Security number (or individual taxpayer identification number or employer identification number)
Electronic notification You can only notify us electronically if your refund check was returned to us. Use Where's My Refund? to complete your change of address online. You will need your Social Security number, filing status and the amount of your refund. For more information, see Understanding your CP31 Notice.

If you filed a joint return, you should provide the same information and signatures for both spouses.

If you filed a joint return and you and/or your spouse have since separated, you both should notify us of your new addresses.

Representatives filing a change of address for a taxpayer by form or written statement must attach a copy of their power of attorney or a Form 2848 (.pdf), Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative. Unauthorized third parties cannot change a taxpayer's address.

Any new address you provide to the U.S. Postal Service (USPS) may also update your address of record on file with us based on what the USPS retains in its National Change of Address (NCOA) database. However, even if you notify the USPS, you should still notify us directly as not all post offices forward government checks.

If the change of address relates to an employment tax return, the IRS will issue notices of confirmation (Notices 148 A and 148 B) for the change to both the former and new address.

Category: IRS Procedures
Subcategory: Address Changes

Please provide your feedback.

1. Was it easy to find your information within the above Frequently Asked Question?

2. How satisfied are you with the information provided within the above Frequently Asked Question?

3. If you still need help from the IRS, what would your next step be?

The OMB number for this study is 1545-1432.
If you have any comments regarding this study, please write to:
IRS, Tax Products Coordinating Committee
1111 Constitution Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20224