IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Education & Work-Related Expenses

Question: May I claim both my job-related education expenses (minus 2% of AGI) and one of the education credits on my tax return?


Yes, but you cannot use the same educational expenses to claim both benefits (no double benefit).

  • You may choose to allocate some of your expenses to the deduction and others to the credit.
  • This can be desirable because a qualifying expense for one benefit may not be a qualifying expense for the other tax benefit. For example, the cost of course-related books ordinarily qualifies for the deduction, but not for the lifetime learning credit, unless paid to the institution as a condition of enrollment or attendance. For tax years 2009 – 2017, course-related books may qualify for the American opportunity tax credit.

Additional Information:

Category: Itemized Deductions, Standard Deduction
Subcategory: Education & Work-Related Expenses

Please provide your feedback.

1. Was it easy to find your information within the above Frequently Asked Question?

2. How satisfied are you with the information provided within the above Frequently Asked Question?

3. If you still need help from the IRS, what would your next step be?

The OMB number for this study is 1545-1432.
If you have any comments regarding this study, please write to:
IRS, Tax Products Coordinating Committee
1111 Constitution Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20224