Like Share Print
Entities: Sole Proprietor, Partnership, Limited Liability Company/Partnership (LLC/LLP), Corporation, Subchapter S Corporation
Question: I recently formed a limited liability company (LLC). The LLC has no employees, is not subject to relevant excise taxes, and has not elected to be taxed as a corporation. Do I need a separate federal tax ID number for the LLC?
- If you are the sole owner of the LLC and the LLC has no employees, you will not need a separate federal tax ID number.
- If you are not the sole owner of the LLC, you will need a separate federal tax ID number for the LLC.
- Form 8832 (PDF), Entity Classification Election
- Tax Topic 755, Employer Identification Number (EIN) - How to Apply
- Form SS-4 (PDF), Application for Employer Identification Number
- Publication 1635 (PDF), Understanding Your EIN - Employer Identification Number - IRS
Category: Small Business, Self Employed, Other Business