IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Schedule C & Schedule SE

Question: I am self-employed as a sole proprietor. How do I report my income and pay Medicare and Social Security taxes?


  • Report your income and expenses from your sole proprietorship on Schedule C (Form 1040) (.pdf), Profit or Loss from Business (Sole Proprietorship), or on Schedule C-EZ (Form 1040) (.pdf), Net Profit from Business.
  • If the total of your net earnings from self-employment from all businesses is $400 or more, use Schedule SE (Form 1040) (.pdf), Self-Employment Tax, to figure your net earnings from self-employment and tax owed.

The self-employment tax consists of the Old-Age, Survivors, and Disability Insurance (Social Security) and the Hospital Insurance (Medicare) taxes. The IRS will transmit the information from the Schedule SE to the Social Security Administration to figure your benefits under the Social Security system. See Publication 334, Tax Guide for Small Business.

Certain highly compensated individuals may need to figure and pay an additional Medicare tax on Form 8959 (.pdf), Additional Medicare Tax, in tax years 2013 and later. Please refer to the Instructions for Form 8959 (.pdf).

Note: The federal tax system is a pay-as-you-go plan. Employers generally withhold taxes from employees' wages or salary before they pay them. However, payers generally do not withhold tax from payments they make to self-employed individuals. Thus, you may need to make estimated tax payments. Publication 505, Tax Withholding and Estimated Tax, provides information on making estimated tax payments.

Category: Small Business, Self-Employed, Other Business
Subcategory: Schedule C & Schedule SE

Please provide your feedback.

1. Was it easy to find your information within the above Frequently Asked Question?

2. How satisfied are you with the information provided within the above Frequently Asked Question?

3. If you still need help from the IRS, what would your next step be?

The OMB number for this study is 1545-1432.
If you have any comments regarding this study, please write to:
IRS, Tax Products Coordinating Committee
1111 Constitution Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20224