IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

CP 57 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

What is the notice telling me?

This notice is telling you that we are charging a penalty because a payment you made to us was returned from your bank as Insufficient Funds.

What do I have to do?

Pay the amount due as shown on the notice. Mail us your payment in the envelope we sent you. Include the bottom part of the notice to make sure we correctly credit your account.

If you can't pay the whole amount now, call us at the number printed at the top of the notice to see if you qualify for an installment agreement.

How much time do I have?

You should contact us or pay your balance due as soon as possible.

What happens if I don't pay?

If you don't pay or make arrangements to pay, and other attempts to collect the money fail, one option available to us is to file a Notice of Federal Tax Lien. The lien gives us a legal claim to your property as security or payment for your tax debt.

Who should I contact?

If you have any questions about the notice, call us at the number printed at the top of the notice. The person who answers the phone will assist you.

What if I don't agree or have already taken corrective action?

If you do not agree with this notice, call us immediately at the number printed at the top of the notice. We will do our best to help you. If you called us about this matter before, but we did not correct the problem, you may want to contact the Office of the Taxpayer Advocate.

Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 30-Mar-2015