IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

LT 11 (Letter 1058) Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

What is the notice telling me?

This notice is telling you that we intend to issue a levy against your bank accounts, wages or other assets because you still have a balance due on one of your tax accounts. It is also telling you that we will begin searching for other assets on which to issue a levy and that we may also file a Federal Tax Lien, if we have not already done so.

What do I have to do?

Pay the amount due as shown on the notice. Mail us your payment in the envelope we sent you. Include the bottom part of the notice to make sure we correctly credit your account.

If you can't pay the whole amount now, call us at the number printed at the top of the notice to see if you qualify for an installment agreement.

How much time do I have?

You should contact us or pay your balance due immediately. Enforcement action may be taken to collect that balance due 30 days after the date of this letter.

What happens if I don't pay?

If you don't pay or make arrangements to pay, we have several options available that we may use to collect the money. One option is to issue a levy against your state tax refund, wages, other income sources, or bank accounts. Another option is for us to file a Notice of Federal Tax Lien. The lien gives us a legal claim to your property as security or payment for your tax debt.

Who should I contact?

If you have any questions about the notice or wish to resolve your outstanding balance, call us at the number printed at the top of the notice. The person who answers the phone will assist you.

What if I don't agree or have already taken corrective action?

If you do not agree with this notice, you have the right to an appeal.  Call us immediately at the number printed at the top of the notice. We will do our best to help you. If you called us about this matter before, but we did not correct the problem, you may want to contact the Office of the Taxpayer Advocate.

If you have already paid or arranged for an installment agreement, you should still call us at the number printed at the top of the notice to make sure your account reflects this.

Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 28-Jan-2015