IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

LT 39 (Letter 3228) Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

What is the notice telling me?

This is a reminder notice required by law informing you that you owe overdue tax.

What do I have to do?

If you are already working with us to resolve the balance, no action is required. You should contact us if you have unanswered questions about the overdue taxes or wrote or called us over 30 days ago and have not received a response. If you are able to pay the amount owed, send us full payment as outlined in the letter. If you are unable to full pay or believe that the overdue tax is incorrect, call us to resolve the account.

How much time do I have?

To avoid enforcement action, contact us within 10 days of the date on the letter.

What happens if I don't pay?

Enforced collection action may be taken to collect the amount you owe, including the filing of a Notice of Federal Tax Lien, or garnishment of your wages or other income sources, and/or bank accounts. A lien is a public notice to your creditors that the government has a right to your interests in your current assets and assets you acquire after we file the lien; it can affect your ability to obtain credit.

Who should I contact?

Contact us at the phone number shown on the letter.

What if I don't agree or have already taken corrective action?

If you do not agree with this notice, call us immediately at the number printed at the top of the notice. We will do our best to help you. If you called us about this matter before, but we did not correct the problem, you may want to contact the Office of the Taxpayer Advocate.

If you have already paid or arranged for an installment agreement, you should still call us at the number printed at the top of the notice to make sure your account reflects this.

Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 02-Feb-2015