INNOCENT SPOUSE - Online Self-Help Tool (5)

Here are suggestions for information that can be helpful in supporting your appeal:

Types of Documentation

  • A complete copy of your divorce decree or separate maintenance documents and any related property settlement.
  • Copy of a current W-2, pay stub or Form 1099 (If you have financial hardship).
  • Records that show your household expenses such as your rental agreement or mortgage statement, utility bills, food costs, car payments and other transportation costs, insurance costs, medical expenses, clothing and child care expenses (If you have financial hardship).
  • Reports, testimony or statements from others that show special circumstances such as a handicap or abuse.

Tips for preparing your statement when completing Form 12509
It’s easier to understand your information if you present it in chronological order and give specific dates. Include facts and details about your situation such as:

  • If you are separated, provide the date(s).
  • Explain who handled your finances during your marriage.
  • Your education level and occupation.
  • Education level and occupation of spouse or former spouse.
  • Name, address, phone and social security number (if known) of spouse or former spouse.
  • A current phone number where you can be reached during the day.

Your completed Form 12509 and any additional information needs to be sent to the office that sent you the preliminary determination letter. Do not send your completed form to an Appeals Office. This will delay the processing of your case.