Information For...

For you and your family
Standard mileage and other information

Forms and Instructions

Individual Tax Return
Instructions for Form 1040
Request for Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and Certification
Request for Transcript of Tax Return


Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate
Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return
Employers engaged in a trade or business who pay compensation
Installment Agreement Request

Popular For Tax Pros

Amend/Fix Return
Apply for Power of Attorney
Apply for an ITIN
Rules Governing Practice before IRS

Abusive Offshore Tax Avoidance Schemes - Law and Arguments (Section III)

Information Returns

The IRS needs information about U.S. persons' involvement and activities with foreign entities to determine compliance in the offshore area. Several IRC sections require information reporting by U.S. persons who own (or are treated as having an ownership interest in) or transfer property to these entities. In addition, there are substantial penalties imposed on the U.S. taxpayer for failure to report these transactions and/or relationships.

Numerous information returns are required with respect to the conduct of certain foreign activities by U.S. citizens, residents, and other entities. Such activities include:

  • U.S. person creates or transfers assets to a foreign trust
  • U.S. person receives certain foreign gifts
  • U.S. person is treated as the "owner" of a foreign trust
  • U.S. person owns 10 percent of a controlled foreign corporation
  • U.S. corporation is 25 percent or more "foreign-owned"
  • U.S. person transfers assets to a foreign corporation
  • U.S. person owns 10 percent of a controlled foreign partnership

Rate the Small Business and Self-Employed Website