Information For...

For you and your family
Standard mileage and other information

Forms and Instructions

Individual Tax Return
Instructions for Form 1040
Request for Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and Certification
Request for Transcript of Tax Return


Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate
Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return
Employers engaged in a trade or business who pay compensation
Installment Agreement Request

Popular For Tax Pros

Amend/Fix Return
Apply for Power of Attorney
Apply for an ITIN
Rules Governing Practice before IRS

Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT) Assistant for Individuals



Due to declining use and the significant increase in the AMT exemption amount provided by recent legislation, the IRS plans to retire the AMT Assistant after the 2018 filing season.

Individuals who claim certain tax benefits may owe Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT). Some taxpayers must complete Form 6251, Alternative Minimum Tax even though they do not owe AMT. This tool is designed to tell you whether you need to complete Form 6251 but it will not figure the amount of AMT you owe, if any.

The easiest way to figure your AMT is to use tax return preparation software (including Free File) which will automatically calculate your tax, including any AMT. If you use tax return preparation software to prepare your taxes (even if you decide to file on paper instead of electronically), you may bypass this tool.

If you prepare and file your taxes using paper and pencil/pen, you may bypass this tool and instead complete the worksheet for line 45 in the Form 1040 Instructions (PDF). That worksheet, available each year in your instructions, will give you the same result as this tool.

Tax Year 2017 AMT Assistant

Prior Years Still Available

Your entries in the AMT Assistant application are anonymous and the information will be used only to determine whether you need to complete Form 6251. All entries are erased when you exit or start over. See the IRS Privacy Policy for more information.